Certified oncology massage is a client-specific, customized massage session delivered by a Certified oncology massage therapist designed to meet the unique and changing needs of someone in treatment for cancer or with a history of cancer treatment. A safe massage plan generally revolves around the side effects (both short- and long-term) of chemotherapy, radiation and surgery.
Your Certified Oncology Massage Therapist should be able to:
- Understand the primary considerations in providing bodywork for people in or with a history of cancer treatment.
- Evaluate bodywork site, positioning and pressure modifications that pertain to medical devices, surgical procedures and drug treatment related side effects.
- Review current clinical research about massage in the oncology setting.
- Identify acupressure points useful in addressing some common cancer treatment related side effects.
- Provide a therapeutic oncology massage on the third workshop day for someone in or with a history of cancer treatment.
60-minute massage – $30
If you are an outpatient at the Infusion Center at Bon Secours St. Francis – Downtown, contact me to have your hand or foot massage done at no cost.